Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Real MMS is coming to the iPhone from Hook Mobile



Since day 1 the iPhone was announced, I've been miffed that they excluded MMS from the functionality of the device. It never made any sense to me from a consumer perspective, nor from AT&T's perspective.

At Hook Mobile, we've developed a cross-carrier MMS delivery platform that partners can use for content optimization and delivery (in addition to many other things). As the one entity that sits between all the carriers for MMS, we found ourselves uniquely suited to do something about the iPhone MMS issue. While today, we can't 100% solve the 'receive an MMS on the iPhone' problem, we can solve the 'send MMS' problem.

We are in the process of submitting an application called MMS to the Apple App store. The application allows iPhone users to select images and send via MMS to friends mobile phones. The message is uploaded to us via http, then optimized for the target device and delivered via the carriers MMS infrastructure to your friends messaging inbox. No data download required by your friend, they just need a messaging plan.

In future versions, we'll be adding functionality and hopefully address the receiving issue. Until then, keep a look out for it in the app store. I'll post again when we launch and share Ad Hoc with a lucky few!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Craig:

I'd love to hear more about this. I have been a bit of a crusader for MMS on the iPhone. My blog post The Case for MMS on the iPhone has been viewed by thousands, and I just posted a follow-up today. I'd love to write about this app. Can you contact me? There is an email link under About Me on my blog. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I just couldnt leave your website before saying that I really enjoyed the quality information you offer to your visitors... iphone